Sunday 20 June 2010


As much as I like big sporting occasions like the World Cup, and all the countries it brings together.... I couldn't help noticing the profit FIFA will be making from the tournament, which is in the region of 2.2 Billion pounds. And soon after we were given the qualifying statement that this vast amount will be invested into grass roots football.

At first glance, this seems like a reasonable statement... but with any knowledge of the sheer poverty in South Africa, one must feel that there is something inherently wrong. A clear case of ignoring the obvious, which reminds me of the indignant feeling I get when I hear the charge of poverty being levelled at God. It goes without saying that poverty always has, and always will be mainly down to human greed, an inward focus that completely ignores its immediate surroundings

No comments: