Saturday 30 April 2011

The Royal Wedding

I think we all new that the Royal Wedding was going to be a rather regal affair, with all the pomp and ceremony that goes with it. And there is no doubting that we all brought into that, with some of us arranging community street events (which in itself is good), while others like me were looking out for points of interest, such as what was in the service and which sports stars turned up...

But as much as the service was unapologetically Christian, the undertones to this event were purely nationalistic....Yesterday I read many posts about being 'proud to be British', and to some degree I'm with them (I'm proud to be British as well).... However, for me, the wedding amplified a rather large cultural shift in our country, where our almighty God, the creator of all the good things we enjoy is somehow sidelined...And the notion of faith has become a rather abstract concept that can only be attained by a few special people. So to counteract the deep void which is left by faith, we attach ourselves (and I include myself in that) to something more tangible like Royalty (Prince and Princesses) or following our national sports team..Our own deepest needs for importance and meaning are projected onto to people and events like this, and as a result we make them pseudo saviours.... In short, we are looking for a form of Redemption from something other than God ( which was brought to my attention in a sermon by Timothy Keller)....

Now don't get me wrong, Royal weddings and street parties are not a bad thing in themselves, I'm all for community. But when they become the be all and end all, it would be fair to say that we've missed the point.

No comments: