Saturday 6 August 2011

Super 8..

I don't post about films very often, but I had to say a little about the latest offering from JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg. I have now found myself knowing what to expect from JJ Abrams, which seems to be a mixture of deep human interest regarding the existential issues of life, and great science fiction. And Super 8 didn't disappoint in either department...


The film begins with the two main characters (Joel and Jackson Lamb) in the midst of what could only be described as extreme loss. Where the mother/wife was killed in an industrial accident, however, life had to go on for the father and son. Both had their own particular way of doing this, with the father burying himself in his work and the son (Joel) finding some form of escapism making Super 8 movies with his friends. It was then that they witnesed a catastrophic train crash, which was the beginning of some very strange disappearances in their small little town. However, I won't say anymore, and let you enjoy the film for yourselves.



All I would say is that in Super 8 we have something which is almost as good as ET, but not quite....

No comments: